John McClane returns in 1990’s Die Hard 2, a film graced with the subtitle ‘Die Harder‘. Bigger and badder than before, this sequel sees our wisecracking Jack Bauer-esque hero making his way around an airport near Washington D.C. to try and foil a nefarious plot.
It’s been far too long since I’ve seen this film to remember it very clearly, but some elements of the film I do remember include:
- a fight scene on a conveyor belt,
- a plane crashing into the ground because they are unaware of their altitude,
- a fantastic Bond-style snowmobile chase,
- McClane jumping from a helicopter onto the wing of a moving plane (it looks like they actually did it too!),
- McClane setting alight to a stream of petrol so that the fire travels along the fuel into the air and finally blowing up the plane.
Awesomeness. Silly, but absolutely entertaining.
I suppose at the end of the day, this film isn’t quite as good as the original, simply for the lack of Hans Gruber; the new baddie isn’t nearly as memorable. Nevertheless, it’s a worthwhile sequel, and a welcome addition to the series. I love it.